Work Safety – Cleaning of windows
1. All employers are required by law to ensure the work safety of maids they hire to work in their households. This is particularly important for you who hire maids directly without going through Employment Agencies (EAs) and thus, have not signed the Safety Agreement Form for newly deployed maids administered by EAs.
2. Ministry of Manpower (MOM) wishes to remind all employers on your responsibilities to ensure the work safety of all maids. Below are the maids work safety regulations which you need to take note and comply:
(a) As an employer, you have a legal obligation to provide safe working conditions and ensure that the maids acts in a manner which is in accordance with the work practices stipulated by MOM.
(b) You shall not allow your maids to clean the exteriors of windows except where two conditions are met:
(i) You or an adult representative is physically present to supervise the maid.
(ii) Window grilles have been installed and are locked at all times during the cleaning process.
3. The above work safety regulations will apply to all homes, except for windows that are at the ground level or along common corridors.
4. Failure to comply with these requirements is a breach of the Employment of Foreign Manpower (Work Passes) Regulations. Current penalties are $10,000 fine and /or 12 months’ jail. Employers who fail to comply may be prosecuted and permanently barred from hiring a maid.
5. Apart from window cleaning, you should take necessary steps to eliminate the risks involved in other household tasks in high-rise residences. Should you have queries on maid safety issues, you may refer to safety tips from MOM Resources for you and maids , send an email to email@example.com or call MOM at 6438 5122.
Contact us for more information:
Contact number/Whatsapp: +65 6970 9425
Address: 170 Upper Bukit Timah Road # 01-42, Bukit Timah Shopping Centre, Singapore, 588179
L/N : 19C9926