FDWs “living out” while under work permit

Peanut Job
Oct 29, 2020 · 1579 read

Is it possible for your maids to not reside with you during after-work hours

Under MOM’s current regulations, stay-out maids are not allowed and “the employer shall ensure that the foreign employee resides at the residential address stated in the work permit”.


But there will be some exceptions,for example:

You are entitled to option(b) if you go overseas while your maid is still in Singapore and you want to leave your maid to your friend/relative.

You should get approval from MOM first before you leave your maid to your friend/relative. 

How to apply?

You need to:.

1)Send an online request, include the following details:

  • Name, address and relationship of the person your helper will be staying with.
  • Name of EA or dormitory operator.
  • Duration and dates of her stay.

2)You will receive a reply from MOM whether your request is approved or rejected.

As long as your helper remains in Singapore, you must ensure she doesn’t need to pay for her upkeep, including food, medical treatment and accommodation.

Ensure that the person who live with her can take care of her well-being, and does not deploy her for work.

For other exceptions, please always seek for MOM's approval first.

As such,to prevent any unlawful practices, do make sure that your maid are working and living in the address stated under her work permit.