Can I leave my helper with a friend, relative or employment agency while I am overseas?
Oct 29, 2020

Can I leave my helper with a friend, relative or employment agency while I am overseas?

As an employer, you are responsible for the well-being and upkeep of your helper. This applies even if you are overseas, e.g. on holiday or business trip.

NoteYou must continue to pay her salary during your absence.

You can do one of the following:

1Leave her at home.

2Allow her to return to her home country for home leave.

3Leave her with a friend or relative. You need to:

  • Seek approval from MOM
  • Ensure that the person youre leaving her with can take care of her well-being, and does not deploy her for work.

4) Leave her at commercially provided housing such as accommodation for helpers provided by EAs or dormitories for female workers. You need to seek approval from MOM.

To seek approval:

1)Send an online request at least 3 working days before your trip, include the following details:

  • Name, address and relationship of the person your helper will be staying with.
  • Name of EA or dormitory operator.
  • Duration and dates of her stay.

2)You will receive a reply from MOM whether your request is approved or rejected.

Note:If your helper remains in Singapore, you must ensure she doesnt need to pay for her upkeep, including food, medical treatment and accommodation.